Re: What kind of digital video camera

On 2012-04-27 02:44:19, Augustin wrote:
> I am about to purchase my very first digital video camera. I have never bought
> this kind of hardware before, and as a KDE user, I'd like to enquire what the
> linux community would recommend. I want a low-to-mid range camera (up to $500,
> more only if specific features are worth the price difference).

We purchased a Canon Vixia HF200 a while back.  It records AVCHD
format to .mts files, but both ffmpeg and mplayer had problems
converting to formats suitable for editing (audio/video sync,
or resulting video would be at 5x the speed or something).  Not
sure if things have changed for the better.

I have tried the video editors in stable, and the ones in
multi-media (with the exception for Blender, there is no way I
can teach my wife to use that).  They either did not work well,
or were unstable.  Kino was the best of the lot. It only works
with .dv files so you have a lengthy conversion step, and the
editor usually crashes during use.

As for specs I would look for 1080p, obtain a sample file, and
make sure you edit it.  I like external memory cards for storage,
and then it becomes becomes (size of card) / (size of file per
minute) and then you figure out how many minutes you need on
a card.  If things change you get another card.

Finally, I am into photography, and the DSLRs have or are getting
HD video support.  You may want to at least consider this before
going for a dedicated video camera.  Smart phones have video if
quality is less important.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind