Re: Installing the MBR on a new Hard Drive

Gary Dale writes:
> Personally, I'd just dd the entire old disk to the new one. Then use
> gparted (from a live distro) to resize your partitions.

Actually, that is probably the best solution. I did that on a
previous disk several months ago and it worked fine

> However, since you have already done it differently, you don't need to dd
> the mbr. Instead, install grub on the new drive (again, boot from a live
> distro). Create a chroot environment for your new / partition and install
> grub from it.

	Thanks for the good suggestions. I have one more old
system  that needs a new boot drive so I will probably dd that
one and then resize as the new drives are about 5 gigabytes
larger.