Re: about DSA-2452-1 apache2 -- insecure default configuration

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:06:27 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2012-04-23 15:06:44 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > What do you mean by site security? AFAIK, the problem is a *host*
>> > security problem.
>>
>> As Apache can be run in a multi-homed (virtual host) environmenet I can
>> be the admin of *my* site (my apache configuration) but not for the
>> others. I can fix my site but not the rest, meaning, there can be
>> "sites" exposing a vulnerable configuration while another sites in the
>> same host don't.
>
> You assume that there is just a user Apache configuration for each
> virtual host. This is not the case. If a site decides to make script
> contents available (as text), but then a global configuration (e.g. the
> fact to install some Apache module) changes the behavior so that the
> script, instead of being displayed as text, becomes executed when the
> URL is opened, then it is not the site that exposes a vulnerable
> configuration, but a global problem.

Still a problem that has to be fixed by the admin of the site regardless
its scope (global or local).

>> > Your last questions make no sense.
>>
>> Sorry, the DSA explains little about the origin of the error and how it
>> can be exploited.
>>
>> > The sample scripts are *not* in these two packages, but under /usr
>> > /share/doc! So, there is nothing to fix in the sample scripts
>> > themselves. The fix should be in the two packages, which shouldn't
>> > execute scripts stored in a random directory, i.e. the scripts in
>> > /usr /share/doc should just be seen as text files. This should be a
>> > bit like CGI's: they are executed only if the ExecCGI option has been
>> > set on the directory.
>>
>> So you consider the flaw is "where", exactly?
>
> As I've said, in the mod_php and mod_rivet modules.

Yes, but what part of the code you think it needs to be fixed. The *.so
library file itself?

>> What do you think the packages are doing wrong? And most important,
>> have you contacted the Apache guys to share your concerns with them?
>
> I know nothing about these modules (except that they will change the
> Apache configuration), but this may also be due to Debian-related
> settings.

Mmm... "libapache2-mod-php5" and "libapache2-mod-rivet" are both
conformed by a bunch of files, updating these would have been even easier
than having to touch Apache's default config file(s), there must be a
good reason for having proceed in this way, then.

And now I think... I wonder if users running Lenny with any of these
packages installed and the default alias to the doc path are also
vulnerable.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón