Re: 2TB USB hard drive for backing up

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:20:05 +0200, Alberto Fuentes wrote:

> On 21/04/12 19:34, Camaleón wrote:
>> I'm against big partitions (500 GiB is the limit I have auto-imposed to
>> my systems) so I would make 4 slices and spread the data over them.
>> Anyway, I don't think you are going to have any problem to manage a
>> single partition of 2 TiB, even more if you plain to store plain data
>> (not a bootable system) there.
>

> I have ext4 in one partition of 1.8 Tb or so. It takes about 40 min to
> chkfs... just something to bear in mind...

Good point :-)

As an aside note, I've been using ReiserFS in all of my linux boxes (in
both, servers and workstations) for the "/" partition and I never had to
face the long waits at booting till the fsck ends. I know that ReiserFS
(v3) is not actively developed (just security patches) and performs
better for small files but I'm considering in moving ext3 to XFS or
another mature file system (JFS) because the annoying and absurdly long
time fsck takes.

> Its very convenient to have a large sack to toss the stuff, but it has
> its own set of drawbacks :)

Yes, and I'm against partitioning too much but considering the big sizes
of the actual hard disks it has become a must, also to minimize a
filesystem corruption in a partition that can affect the whole data.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón