Re: Evolution and POP3 problem: want to delete from server when moved from Inbox

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:48:01 -0700, Bill Harris wrote:
>> 1.  I set up Evolution and imported my Icedove folders, and then I
>>     downloaded email for the first time in Evolution.  That gave me
>>     duplicates of everything.  Is there a command or plugin to eliminate
>>     duplicates, as there was on Thunderbird/Icedove, or do I have to do
>>     that manually?
>
> Mmm, you have something about that explained here:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/FAQ#Why_does_Evolution_download_duplicate_emails.3F_How_can_I_get_rid_of_them.3F_Why_does_Evolution_reload_old_mails_from_server_when_.22Leave_a_message_on_the_pop_server.22_is_activated.3F
> http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.2/mail-duplicates.html.en

Thanks.  That led me to
http://gnome-evolution-general.1774414.n4.nabble.com/remove-duplicates-td1781760.html,
which does seem to have interesting links.  I'll have to check them out.

>> 2.  My second issue is much more important to me.  I leave emails on the
>>     server for various reasons.  When I do move some messages from the
>>     inbox to other folders or I delete messages from the inbox, I want
>>     Evolution to remove them from the server, but I can't figure out how
>>     to do that (it seemed easy on Thunderbird / Icedove).  How does one
>>     do this?
>>
>> Any tips?  I've searched and found a few tantalizing hints that there
>> might be a solution, but I haven't found the solutions.
>
> (...)
>
> Leaving a copy in the server is an option that always gives headaches.
> Have you considered moving to IMAP, instead?

It worked well in T'bird until T'bird (Icedove) choked. :-%

>> AFAICT, these servers do not support IMAP.
>
> Ouch... Jump to another provider, then?

Someday. :-)

Thanks, Camaleón.

Bill