Re: how to retrieve info from a bad disk?

On 21/04/12 04:51 PM, Bill Harris wrote:
Gary Dale<garydale@rogers.com>  writes:

On 21/04/12 11:22 AM, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
Is there  another rescue software ??
Firstly, copy the entire disk to another one of the same or larger
size by booting from a live distro such as sysrecuecd and using dd
(e.g. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb).
Check out ddrescue as a replacement for dd, too.  I've had luck with it
when some files were partially corrupted, but it's been years since I
used it.

Bill

ddrescue is a good alternative when there are physical problems with the disk. However dd is adequate for data corruption cases. With Debian, ddrescue seems to be the dd_rescue program, with the real ddrescue available as gddrescue. Rather than getting into this long explanation, I went for the package that is almost certainly already installed on whatever live CD he boots from.