Re: Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick -- now what?

On 16/04/12 13:02, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
Dear All

This morning I received a second-hand USB stick which consisted of
the stick
a USB extension cable plus USB plug/socket
a mini antenna
No instructions of any sort.

I plugged the USB stick into a USB slot on the front of the computer and
checked dmesg which gave the following:
[67244.676831] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 50 msecs.
[67244.676835] dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully initialized
and connected.
[67244.676971] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_dib0700
As you can see, the Nova-T stick was recognised by the kernel and an IR
Remote Control driver registered. Unfortunately, I have not received a
remote control.

I have a number of questions:-
1. With NO remote control, how do I control the device?

With great easy. The remote control is configured as an input device and mapped to predefined key presses - pressing "1" on the remote is the same as pressing "1" on your keyboard. It doesn't control the device directly.

I've never used the remote that came with my DVB-T card until this morning, and I've been using that card happily for over 5 years.

2. What do I have to do to get TV reception?

This is a good question. I use MythTV, which recognises my card (and should be fine with your stick, as the kernel presents it properly), but that is a bit over the top for just watching TV.

mplayer supports playing TV from such devices, but I haven't tried this and don't know how to set up the tuning.

3. Do I have to buy any more hardware? eg, should I buy the device new
so that I get all the relevant h/w?

You shouldn't need any other hardware, although I'd recommend connecting to a proper antenna, as those little ones don't have good reception.

--
Dom