Re: Squid as default gateway in proxy mode.

Muhammad Yousuf Khan a écrit :

> i know ICMP didnt have ports and it is a layer 4 proto.

ICMP is tranported on top on IP which is a layer 3 (network) protocol,
but that does not make it a layer 4 protocol. ICMP provides services
that are part of the IP protocol, so it is rather a layer 3 protocol.

> secondly the concern that this is not the right approach. i know that
> this is not a way of blocking stuff. i should have drop the traffic
> one by one after opening  all the traffic.

Rather the other way around : you should accept specific traffic and
block everything else by default.

> i know in other words we are talking about "Transparent " proxy.

No, this is packet filtering and has nothing to do with transparent proxy.