Re: PAE support in Debian6

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 18:34:03 -0430, German Eduardo Jaber De Lima wrote:

> What was the first stable Debian release that enabled PAE support
> (bigmem kernel option)?

The first?

If we take we time-machine and according to the snapshot archive¹, there
was a "-bigmem" kernel since 2.6.17 (dated on August 13th, 2006) which
means... Sarge, then? :-?

> Is it enabled by default in Debian6?

It will be from Wheezy, AFAIK.

In earlier versions... Mmm, I would better look at the image ISO content
to see what's included in each of them, for instance:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.4/i386/list-cd/
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.4/i386/list-dvd/

Which seems to indicate the first CD does not contain the bigmem kernel
while it is present in the first of the DVDs. If the kernel is there it
may be preseded and thus triggered to be available at install time, at
least when using the expert installer.

¹http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/linux-image-686-bigmem/

Greetings,

--