Re: Trouble with Nvidia driver

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 03:27:06 -0400 (EDT), Eduardo Bearzoti wrote:

> I'd like to thank the kind replies of Bob and Daniel.
> With regard to their suggestions, they might like to know that:
>
> - changing 'nvidia' for 'vesa' unfortunately didn't help;
>
> - I had memtest86+ run for a long time, and no ram errors were reported.
>
> But Bob's guess that perhaps it is not a driver-related problem
> may be correct.  Today I finally decided to try Nvidia installer,
> and had the newest driver installed.  And - unfortunately - the system
> continues to freeze.  Therefore, the cause must lie somewhere else
> (if it is not a bug).
>
> I'll keep trying, but my ideas are running out.  I would greatly
> appreciate fresh suggestions from the community.

In my experience, these types of system freezes are often hardware
problems, and from what you describe (i.e. independent of which
driver is being used) that would be my guess here.  If I were you
I would shutdown, power off, disconnect the power cord, open the
case, and carefully clean (without water!) everything.  Then I
would carefully remove all the expansion boards, clean the contacts,
and carefully re-seat all the boards.  Do the same for the memory
boards.  Then, put everything back together and hope for the best.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :