Re: Trouble with Nvidia driver

Eduardo Bearzoti wrote:
> Video card (lspci output):
> nvidia Corporation G86[GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)

I have a system with the same graphics chip and it is working fine for
me at 1600x1200 with the default driver.  I am a little embarrassed to
say that after looking at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file I am not sure
which driver it is actually using.  I do not have any special drivers
(e.g. nouveau or nvidia) installed.  It has been fine and I haven't
needed to look at it.  It worked out of the box by default.

> when attempting to login trough gdm3, the whole system freezes again.

Since you are reporting system freezes I am concerned that this may be
a ram problem.  If I were looking at this I would install memtest86+
as a bootable system.  Then reboot into memtest and let it run through
several cycles to verify that you are not having a system memory
problem.

  # apt-get install memtest86+
  Setting up memtest86+ (4.10-1.1) ...
  Generating grub.cfg ...
  Found memtest86+ image: /memtest86+.bin

That will configure grub automatically for a bootable memtest
environment.  Reboot and it can be selected.

If I ever find a problem with ram then I am always very thankful
because replacing ram is pretty inexpensive and a much easier thing to
do than most other repairs or chasing down driver problems.

Good luck!

Bob