Re: ulimit not working for changing daemon limits

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:04:19 -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
>
>> I am trying to increase the number of open files the sendmail daemon may
>> have. I have read that inserting a ulimit command in the init script is
>> the way to do this.
>
> (...)
>
> I can be wrong but I had understood ulimits (per user/daemon) are set
> from "/etc/security/limits.conf" :-?

>From [1]

/etc/security/limits.{d,conf} are only processed by pam_limits.
Processes started from init generally do not utilize pam_limits.so.

FWIW, I tried tweaking /etc/security/limits.{d,conf} and it did not
increase the max number of open files for the sendmail process.

Any other advice?

-mz

[1] http://old.nabble.com/How-to-set-ulimit-%28nofile%29-for-a-daemon-td28610214.html