Re: upgrade to Wheezy fails with aptitude

Le 09/04/2012 11:12, Pierre Frenkiel a écrit :
 aptitude search ~i\!~M -F "%p"

    This shows manually and automatically installed packages.

    I get 2220 packages, (and 995 with "~i~M")

No, the above command doesn't show automatically installed packages.

Sorry, retry it without -F "%p" to get a clearer output:

  aptitude search ~i\!~M

you won't see any line beginning with iA.  (The A stands for auto)

I think you used to installed packages with apt-get: in its not-so-old
versions, it didn't know about manual/automatic installation bits and
packages installed this way were considered manually installed.
The confusions comes from these many packages (2220) reported as manual
instead of being reported as auto, and that fact you sometimes used
aptitude and get 995 ones marked as auto.

Nicolas

--
PS: checkout this excellent page:

http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/projects/aptitude/doc/en/ch02s03s05.html