Re: TV with Linux

On 11/04/12 06:04, Dom wrote:

I have been using MythTV from the debian-multimedia repository for about 6 years now, (they have xbmc pre-compiled too), on an old PC with four PCI digital TV tuner cards in. MythTV can record multiple (adjacent) channels on each card - I've got mine set to a maximum of 6 channels per card, so *could* record 24 programmes at once. This, of course, is silly and I'd never need to do it, but sometimes one programme starts before another ends. MythTV can be a bit fiddly to set up intially, but is easy to use after that.

My next goal is to see if I can set up a Raspberry Pi as a MythTV frontend, so I can have the noisy backend machine in another room - I just need to get my hands on one first :-)

I have a Mythtv setup on my Debian Squeeze home server (which also serves as everything else - mail, web, internet firewall...) and watch it from my Debian Sid desktop.

I also have a RaspberryPi on "order" (I am in a queue with RS to be able to order one) with the same intention. I suspect (although not yet 100% sure) that the special xbmc version made for the Pi will read data from a MythTv backend. There is one Gotcha that I wasn't able to get a clear answer on when I asked - the incoming digital signal is in MPEG2 format and MythTV stores the stream as mpeg2. The PI only has a (firmware) codec for Mpeg4, so not sure if transcoding between mpeg2 and mpeg4 is going to be necessary.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk