Re: ICMP handling in Linux

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012, Martin T wrote:
> It's a well known fact that even most(with exceptions like ASR1K) of
> the high-end Cisco or Juniper routers handle ICMP traffic in routing
> engines not in ASIC's which means that they share the CPU time with
> other processes. How prioritized is ICMP handling in modern Linux 2.6
> and newer kernels? Is it possible to prioritize ICMP handling in
> kernel?

AFAIK, it has the same priority of every other packet that makes it to the
IP stack.

Easy depriorizing is possible by outright dropping incoming ICMP packets
in the iptables layer, before it is processed by the IP stack.

I suppose advanced NICs might be able to use receiver-side flow-steering to
priorize or depriorize ICMP packets before delivering them to the driver, or
you could steer them all to a particular core.

I fear you will probably need to ask this question in the netdev ML if
you want a better answer.

  Henrique Holschuh