Re: TV with Linux

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:41:57PM +0100, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
> Hi All
>
> The subject is pretty confusing. I've ordered a Hauppauge DVD-T
> Nova-T USB stick and I've downloaded a 7zip file with all the
> firmware files required. I've been able to check that the firmware
> for the Nova-T is now installed in /lib/firmware. What now?

I think on reboot, hotplug should find the firmware and load it.  You
can check dmesg to find out if it worked.

> Ok, eventually the TV tuner will arrive and I've also ordered a
> small TV aerial. So, I connect the aerial to the tuner, connect the
> tuner to the PC via a USB port. Then what? I gather there is a
> remote control with 45 buttons on it. Seems a lot to me.
>
> I've found a web page about XBMC and I've succeeded in compiling
> xbmc for my Linux desktop. The xbmc-bin file is gigantic: 145MB of
> binary and it still requires 115 libraries! Do I have to have XBMC.
> What will it enable me to do which I couldn't do without?
>
> Has anybody on the list got TV on Linux and, if so, what did you do
> to get it working? Any comments would be much appreciated (I don't
> have room for a standalone TV set so TV on Linux is my only option).

I use MythTV with a Hauppauge PVR-150.  I followed the wiki
documentation to get it working.  I tested the video card with:

cat /dev/video0 > test.mpeg

to see if it worked properly, then configured MythTV to use it.

-Rob