Re: netinst CD image - too big, vaguely specified?

Claudius Hubig wrote:
Hello Richard,

Richard Owlett<rowlett@pcnetinc.com>  wrote:
I've browsed through debian-6.0.4-i386-netinst.list. It
appears to contains files of unlikely interest to me (C
compiler and header files, firewire, traceroute, etc).

The business card CD images contain even fewer packages, but you
should consider that compilers and headers are often important parts
of a system (for example, if you want to compile non-free drivers).
Additionally, many people require them for their daily work, thus
they are included even in this nearly-minimal image, as it is clearly
a compromise to be made.

AFAIK I have no hardware _requiring_ non-free drivers. I may not be able to use all the "bells-n-whistles". If OS's were furniture, I would tilt towards Shaker.

debian-6.0.4-i386-businesscard.list looks attractive.

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ says in part:
"The "business card" image is smaller than the "netinst" image to fit on business-card sized cds. It does not contain the base system, but only the installer: even the base packages need to be downloaded from the net. "

That led me to assume that the "business card" image would just go ahead and download the rest of the "netinst" image. How much control does user have over what it downloads?

I also did not find any description of how fine the user
control of packages to be downloaded is.

You cannot control the packages contained in the CD image, but if you
choose the appropriate mode of installation (‘expert’) you can
specify to download no further packages, leaving you with the
possibility to install everything you need by hand.

Doing things "by hand" doesn't bother me as I'm of the 026 and KSR-35 era. BUT, how much carnal knowledge would I need to use the "expert" mode. If program XYZ requires X11, will X11 and its dependencies be pulled in?

Thanks

Best regards,

Claudius