Re: Networking borked on new squeeze install

On 10/04/12 12:38, Mat Enders wrote:
> Here is a stumper.  I just completed a brand new installation of
> Debian, during installation it could not reach the repositories so
> only a base installation was completed.
>
> I am logged directly into the machine not via ssh.

So you've proven the NIC works.

> Network appears to
> have configured correctly via dhcp.
>
> ifconfig says I have the correct network address
> route -n shows the correct gateway
> resolv.conf shows the correct DNS servers

So - provided the gateway allows it, the box should be able to reach the
internet....

> from another machine on the network I can ping the gateway and www.google.com

You've proven your gateway works, and your internet connection is
functioning.

> from the new install attempting to ping the gateway destination host
> unreachable and for Google it says unknown host
>
> I can ssh into the machine via its IP address and I can ssh into other
> machines on the network, from the newly installed machine, via their
> IP address
>
> I am stumped any help would be appreciated.

Check your the firewall on your gateway device (/var/log/syslog,
possibly dmesg).

Unless you have a really unusual setup (unlikely on a fresh install) the
problem must be at the gateway.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-