Re: [OT] Manually verifying PGP/MIME signature with GPG

On 09.04.2012 18:44, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 18:04:13 +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
>
>> I am now asking this question for the third time, but now in separate
>> thread.
>
> For the "third" time? Then is that I missed it. You did the right move by
> opening a new thread :-)
>
>> As this list seems to be against GPG INLINE signatures,
>
> Uh? First notice I have :-?

The other questions and PGP/INLINE hate are in some of those three (or
more) of those different "[OT] Posting styles" threads.

> I recognize it's annoying to delete the extra text when replying to PGP/
> GPG inline messages but I can live with that.
>
>> I have promised to move to S/MIME (with devices which support it) when
>> someone on this list tells me how do I manually verify PGP/MIME
>> signature in case email client cannot be used to do it.
>
> You don't have to move on S/MIME if you don't want.

Oh, sorry. I am confusing with S/MIME and PGP/MIME myself too. They are
two different things, or at least I think so. The one which I am asking
about is PGP/MIME (those signature.asc files, which you might have seen).

>> Example case would be verifying message from mailing list archives. I
>> will also move to PGP/MIME if anyone on this list admits my point that
>> it's easier to verify GPG INLINE manually than PGP/MIME.
>
> (...)
>
> Dude, use whatever you like most, if someone complaints that's up to them
> (unless there's some hidden rule/policy for this I'm not aware of) ;-)

I am getting the picture that there is some kind of hidden policy, which
should be put to list code of conduct or elsewhere.

> Anyway, openssl's smime should be able to verify the signature. As per
> the man page:
>
> ***
> The smime command handles S/MIME mail. It can encrypt, decrypt, sign and
> verify S/MIME messages.
> ***
>
> There are some usage samples at the bottom of the page.
>
> Greetings,

I think that I will start using PGP/MIME now that someone has said that
it's annoying to remove GPG signatures from messages and that they can
live with it. It's nicer way than telling to filter all emails from one
sender / threading / telling what should be done in their opinions and
then ignoring all problems in that way.

I hope that someone can still answer this question.

PS. Sorry again for typoing PGP/MIME as S/MIME.

--
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728