Re: ATA/IDE hard drive problem

On 09/04/12 01:40, Gary Roach wrote:
> On 01/-10/-28163 11:59 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 08/04/12 09:41, Gary Roach wrote:

<snipped>

> There seems to be some confusion here. I still have win2k on the
> machine.

No confusion here (so far). Hence my request.
I suspected you still had W2K installed and wanted to find out how, and
make certain you didn't have a large disk translator (eg. Maxtor tool)
installed.

Q. What size does W2K see the drive as?

It's quite possible that you just need a boot delay in GRUB.

> Linux commands won't work.

You can do that from a live cd. Tom's Root Boot has more than enough
tools for the task.

> I think what I am going to do is
> change the ATA/IDE Configuration to Enhanced, put the linux installation
> disk in the CDROM drive and hope that it boots. One of the respondents
> pointed out that Linux doesn't depend on the bios settings to find the
> boot drive.

That's incorrect - if the BIOS can't "see" the sole hard drive you can't
boot from it. Period.
The CD/DVD is different.

I'd be surprised if you'll then be able to access W2K (backup first).

> I hope that is true. I may end up with a boat anchor.

You must have a very small boat - remind me not to take you up on an
offer to go fishing :-)

Backup first. A portable hdd is a good investment - or simply spend $30
on a second hand 500GB drive and temporarily hang it off the second
controller.
W2K is pretty simple to backup and restore to a different partition layout.

> Gary R.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-