Re: [OT] Posting styles

Scott Ferguson wrote:
Which part of "my bad - I'd mistaken you for someone trolling" did you
not understand?  You're too quick to claim offence.
I know this last is true. If caught in it I've offended you 'too', I'm sorry.

  The LilyPond list (a digital-music-scoring site)
had been debating just this top/bottom posting-style issue, and had
fielded exactly this suggestion -- a vote among the list members.

Maybe on that site the list votes on how the list is run. Though it
sounds like the tail wagging the dog...
On Debian it's usually developers who vote
As I recall, the suggestion was meant to improve the developers' sense
of membership preference (to consider in making a developer decision).

People are still free to post as they wish - but I
don't remember the last time I saw a useful response from anyone who
didn't have a preference for interleaved posting style (even if
sometimes they refer to it as bottom posting, with a straight face)
For the record, I've always preferred interleaved ("relative bottom"?)
style.  But, retired now after 16 years in a mandatory top-post work
environment, I fight my reflex with every email (if I remember) to do
differently.

P.S.  I may as well add here, that it would help me -- in opening a
        Debian list email -- *not* to see blank lines at the top of the
        message (like the two at top here).  They're what I have to
        fight, as they beckon, "Now y'all just scribble right in here".

Best regards,
Pete