Re: No sound from Gnash in Iceweasel or Epiphany or from VLC

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 14:19:15 -0400, Kevin Williams wrote:

(please, turn off html, thanks...)

>  The video works just fine in both applications, but it has no sound.
>  However, I can play ogv videos with sound just fine from Gnome Sound
>  Recorder and Totem Movie Player.
>
>  My preferred sound device is a Plantronics .Audio 646 DSP usb headset.
>  I have also tried plugging in a set of Apple ear buds to the
>  traditional sound jacks. I do not get any sound from any source when
>  attempting to play videos from VLC, Iceweasel, or Epiphany.

(...)

Your preferred sound device is the headset but is your system of the same
opinion? :-)

I think the source of the problem can be what output sound device is
currently handling the system sound: the embedded sound card or your USB
headset which is detected by the system as an additional (secondary)
soundcard.

There are some applications (e.g., Ekiga) that allow the user to select
on-the-fly which device to use for getting sound (internal card outputing
to the speakers, USB card outputing to the headset, HDMI outputing to an
sound bar...) but not all apps allow it.

Additional information on how to tweak the order of the devices (and thus
setting your preferred card to be your system's preferred one) can be
found here:

http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA#Troubleshooting

Greetings,

--