Re: [OT] Something about google search

On 08/04/12 01:47, lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the top line in google page
>
> Search Images Maps Play YouTube News Gmail Documents Calendar More
>
> Is it possible to delete the Play and Calendar, and bring something
> hidden in More up there?

Yes. Though I can't see how that might be related to Debian ;-)

There are a number of ways to do that - but wouldn't it be simpler to
just put a shortcut or shortcuts to the links you want into your
toolbar? The Google search page structure and scripts *will* change.

> Googled for a while and still don't know how to set those things.

Looking at the source code might have proven instructive ;-p

It's not a "settable" setting as such (if that gibberish makes sense).
The element you're referring to is div#gbx3 which is a long list of
links ending in "Even More". Until you click on "More..." part of that
list is hidden.

So to change that so that some of the initial visible part of the list
is hidden and replaced by the part of the hidden list you need to change
the applied styles and dynamically rewrite the page.

Possible. I'd probably just download the page and re-write it.
But you 'could' change the actual live page - I'd probably use Adblock
(to hide some elements) and Greasemonkey (to rewrite elements), but I
only spent a minute looking at the code and it's possible it could be
achieved with a bookmarklet (javascript snippet) or a custom CSS that
you apply to the search page.

> Thanks ahead for your suggestions,
>
> Best regards,

Kind regards