Re: [OT] Posting styles

In linux.debian.user, it is written:

> On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 09:21:44AM -0500, Indulekha wrote:
>> In linux.debian.user, Richard <richard@g8jvm.com> wrote:
>> > On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 14:02:12 +0300
>> > Mika Suomalainen <mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > The other thing Mika, apart from that huge chunk of signature, why on
>> > earth ask for a return receipt.
>>=20
>> It does tend to announce to the recipient that the sender has=20
>> a wildly exaggerated sense of self-importance, which I suppose=20
>> could be construed as useful. :)
>
> "Because I damned well want to" is a perfectly valid reason for signing
> emails/posts. The level of judgementalism (yeah, I know it's not a word
> but, it's descriptive) I see exhibited here on this subject implies a=20
> certain level of low self esteem.

Actually, in this particular post I was referring to return receipts.
Sorry, thought that was clear from the context.
Anyway, I never tell people they should or shouldn't sign.
In fact, if so many others were not voicing their opinions on the
matter I'd have never said a word.

Any hostility expressed towards gpg sigs on mailing lists is almost
certainly due to the inconsiderate result of signing email meant for
the general public -- i.e. big, ugly blocks of non-human-readable text.
As for "low self-esteem", I'm fairly certain that belongs to the guys
playing secret agent man on an email list. :)

In any event, I do support your freedom to choose.

--
 Indulekha