ATA/IDE hard drive problem

I have an older computer that is still completely serviceable that I am switching over to Linux from win2k. The system has had a glitch for a long time in that it fails to boot the first time I try. The reason is that it can't find the WD600BB, 60 GB hard drive. A second try usually fixed the problem. It has an Intel D865PERL mother board, a P4 2.4 GHZ processor and 512 MB DDR 400 ram. I just upgraded the BIOS to the latest version.

If the BOIS ATA/IDE Configuration is set to Extended, the bios finds my CDROM drive but not the hard drive. If the configuration is set to Legacy the bios finds the hard drive but not my CDROM drive. The hard drive is on IDE -1 as master (or stand alone, makes no difference) and the CDROM is on IDE-2 as master. Swapping cables didn't help. The two units are mounted too far apart to make one master and the other slave on the same IDE port.

I've run out of ideas. Anyone else have any?

Gary R