Re: Free as in speech hardware ebook reader

On 07/04/12 18:32, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> Thanks for the quick replies.
>
> Calibre is a software reader isn't it? I do use it on my computer, but I
> was looking for the hardware to install it on. I will keep it in mind.
>
> The OLPC seems to be a laptop right? I was looking for something like a
> tablet.

Just buy any tablet that suits your price and feature requirements *and*
that will support Debian[*1]. Then install Calibre - it's more than just
an reader, it is a library manager, can read every eBook type I've heard
of, and convert between types. By installing Debian you will be able to
install other software without a new learning curve and, more
importantly, be able to link easily.

Probably best if you buy a cheap tablet if you have trouble caring for
paper books - tablet are less sturdy (even the clay variety). :-)

> The Nook is interesting, but I would prefer GNU/Linux to Android.

Buy a know rootable Android pad (I don't know the Nook).

> Many thanks,
> Panayiotis

Please post your experience when you do.

[*1]eg. Motorola Xoom Honeycomb, Archos gen-8/9

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-