Re: Free as in speech hardware ebook reader

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 12:12:45AM +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Having a bad track record of not taking care of "dead tree" books, I am
> looking to buy an electronic book reader.
>
> The Amazon's Kindle does look good and it boasts a Linux kernel, but I
> am very disappointed at the many restrictions they want to place on me:
> automatic installation of firmware, limitations to its use, access to my
> data, and ads! To mention a few.
>
> I know it's possible to circumvent these restrictions, but what I am
> looking for is a hardware reader that is designed to respect my
> freedoms. Preferably one that runs a GNU/Linux system, and which I am
> allowed to tinker with. It does not have to work out of the box, and I
> am prepared to invest time in it and deal with bugs, as I would with a
> regular computer, provided it has a community around it to support it,
> as Linux distros do.
>
> Any suggestions?

Yeah, Kindle is not good.
Surely you've seen the FSF "Kindle/Swindle" campaign.

The Barnes & Noble Nook is essentially an Android Tablet.

Really, you could grab any android tablet (or tablet running an actual
gnu/linux system) and install FBReader (e-book reader software),
or any of various other e-reader projects available.

I don't have experience with Kindle, Nook (other than in-store demo).
I have used an Android tablet, and also have FBReader on my Android
phone.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me