installing source over package

I had an issue with the cups-filters package on Wheezy.  I found that the bug was resolved in the unstable branch.  But, I wasn't sure how to get the unstable branch version of cups.  So, I compiled cups-filters from source and installed it on top of my current version (did not uninstall the package version first).  This fixed my problem.  But, now I'm wondering what the consequences will be and if there was a better way to handle it.

My reasoning for leaving the apt pkg installed was because I wanted apt to still upgrade when a new version comes out.