Re: Exim4 and SMTP relaying.

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 11:28:18 -0700
Peter Easthope <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:

> Referring to my diagram,
> mutt and exim4 running on Dalton can send a message, through port 465
> with TLS, to *.webwelcome.com and then to a destination.
> Next I want to have Cantor send a message through exim4 on Dalton.
> The connection from Cantor to Dalton should be plain old SMTP with no
> authentication and no TLS.  Which configuration options will allow
> this? I've spent a few hours searching and reading in the manuals and
> not found anything helpful; or perhaps just missed relevant options.

OK, it's a few years now since my exim4 was at that stage, so I'm not
really sure what is necessary...

... but to start with, locate /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf and see
what's in it. There should be an entry which may be empty called:

which should contain network specifications separated by colons and
enclosed in single quotes. My guess for a first try is:

on the basis you're using a /24 netmask there. I don't believe that
exim4 by default checks sending domain, From: or anything else in the
message. It is also possible to relay by sending domain specification,
using dc_relay_domains, but that's probably not what you want here.

After the change, run update-exim4.conf and restart exim4.