Re: NAS box configuration

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 14:05:10 +0100
Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> On 04/04/12 13:58, J. Bakshi wrote:
> > What I'm missing is a good online doc to configure debian for the
> > NAS. One option is freeNAS. I have no idea which one will be better.
>
> That depends on how you want to use your NAS. (protocols? clients?
> backup?) Generally, an "appliance"-like OS such as freeNAS will be a lot
> easier to set up and get running, for 90% of use-cases, and very
> difficult to configure for the remaining 10%.

NFS/CIFS etc ... which should work with all the os boxes... Linux/windows/Mac

> With a more general OS (such as Debian) you will be able to tweak it to
> do whatever you want, but you will have to learn about the technologies
> you need one-by-one rather rather than setup-and-go.

Interesting. How can I then go for a debian based NAS box ?
It will be fine if I get a minimal system working as NAS but
better if any web gui available. It would be great if I can
run the base OS from any USB or flash card and use the entire
HDD for backup.

-- regards