Re: OT: favorite free-software email-subscription / feeds.

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:08:57 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 08:55, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 22:26:51 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
>>
>>> Can You recommend the debian / linux / free-software free
>>> email-subscription / feeds - the ones You prefer?
>>>

>>> Thanks for Your time and advice.
>>
>> Sure, these are RSS feeds, no e-mail subscriptions anymore :-)
>>
>> http://www.linux-magazine.com/rss/feed/lmi_full
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/LinuxMagazine
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/linuxjournalcom
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/Phoronix
>> http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot
>>
>> I also followed "Linux Devices¹" (linux hardware related news) but has
>> been recently adquired by a big magazine and the feeds are now gone :-(
>>
>> ¹http://www.linuxfordevices.com/
>>

> Interesting, I always get bored by the actual magazines, and they are so
> abstracted and removed from the community... Usually the closer I get to
> the community and devs, the more I enjoy it.

:-)

They're mostly written for a non-technical audience and sometimes is
reassuring reading things in plain parlance.

I also visit from time to time "Debian Planet", a very good source to get
in touch with Debian forthcoming stuff. And also follow a couple of
general security feeds ("Security Focus" and "US-CERT") to keep in touch
with the latests security holes.

> Although I use atom feeds a lot, I am thinking of using an atom to email
> converter, especially if I set up a desktop email client.

I prefer keep things separate (kinda "divide and conquer" approach),
that's why I use:

- Pan (as newsreader for reading/post to mailing lists)
- Mutt (as e-mail client for personal things)
- Thunderbird (as e-mail client for work)
- Liferea (as news feeder for reading web magazines and newspapers)

(heck, I now realize why my RAM consumption reaches up to "1.5 GiB" :-P)

I can easily use Thunderbird as e-mail client, newsreader and also feed
reader and thus removing two programs but I don't like mix up these
things and dedicated applications have their own advantages.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón