Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 06:00:23PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Edit /etc/default/rcS, set RAMTMP=no, reboot. Or, set TMPDIR to point to
> > something like $HOME/tmp
>
> You don't need to reboot because of the size change.
>
> "mount -o remount,size=<desired size> /tmp"  works, at least for
> increasing size.  One of the good things of a tmpfs is that you can
> resize it dynamically.
>
> > You may also consider filing a bug, since the more people report
> > problems with Debian's new, absurdly small /tmp, the more likely it
> > is to get fixed.
>
> Hmm, yes, it can certaily be raised by popular demand.  But what would
> probably help more is a set of profiles of /tmp sizes based on the
> amount of system ram to provide the initial default size.

I noticed yesterday that Fedora is planning to go for using
tmpfs on /tmp as well.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA4MTg

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs

Note that the latter has useful advice and notes in the Q&A
section which does pertain to the problems discussed in this
thread.  It's clear that some of the problems will be fixed
as they are additionally found in Fedora, particularly WRT
the storage of large files on /tmp.  It also notes that a
number of other distributions are also picking this up as
well, e.g. Ubuntu and Arch, so we are by no means alone in
implementing this.

Regards,
Roger

--