Re: printer Kyocera FSC-5100DN

On Fri 30 Mar 2012 at 20:00:23 +0200, Leonard Le-Rey wrote:

> It is obviously not a driver problem, as the driver from Kyocera is
> the most recent and works fine on other systems (such as Ubuntu
> 11.10). So as you suggested, it is the cups which is affected - as
> reported by others. Hence I will have a look there (some took the cups
> from Ubuntu 11.10).

Is it CUPS or is it the printer? That is the question.

A way to explore this is:

1. Download cups-filters from unstable.

2. Open the package and go to the README and follow the instructions
   which begin with the words 'To extract the Postscript output for'.
   The PPD file is the one you have for your printer in /etc/cups/ppd.

3. Install the gv package. As root, 'chmod 777 /tmp/printout'. As a
   user 'gv /tmp/printout'.

Post the output of 'ls -l /tmp/printout, and say what happens when you
attempt to open the file with gv.

>                     Here the content of my /var/log/cups/error_log

There doesn't appear to be anything of great consequence in it.

> E [30/Mar/2012:15:13:49 +0200] [Job 24] PDF file is damaged -
> attempting to reconstruct xref table...

Ghostscript will probably repair the xref table but use another PDF for
your tests if you feel uneasy about it.