Re: USB drive spins up every hour

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:46:59 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> You're confused.  Spin up happens when the drive is accessed and
>>> that's all there is to it.
>> Well, that's not always the case. There are external drives which have
>> embeded in their firmware the power saving routines and spin-down/up
>> automatically based on that, regardless the disk is being accessed or
>> not.
>
> Regardless of where the code responsible for the spin-up resides, if the
> drive spins up when the drive is not accessed, it's a bug.

I don't think so.

The hard disk can have set (by default) embbeded routines that make the
disk to be "awaked" at a regular interval and external disks (those that
come with USB enclosures or NAS/SAN appliances) tend to do it to speed up
things (e.g., to run scheduled backup tasks).

>> Mmm... if you so sure the disk is awaked by an external application,
>> then don't mount it unless you need it, that way the disk can be still
>> powered on but it will inaccessible for the system and programs.
>
> Even when not mounted (and with its LVM volumes deactivated) it still
> spins-up.

Then I would contact the manufacturer. If the disk is not mounted and no
external program is accessing to it and still spins-up, it can be
something wrong in the firmware.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón