Re: DVD and *.flv playback is jerky on VLC

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:43:19 +1100
Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28/03/12 21:11, AG wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've noticed, using Debian stable, that DVD and *.flv
>
> flv in unindexed, so can be a problem in itself.
>
> >  playback tends to
> > be jerky.  That is, the motion of the actors, etc., seems to jump in
> > short but noticeable ways, as if the playback is dropping several frames
> > and picking it up again.  The sound track is fine, no jumps, but the
> > movement on screen does seem to be a little jerky.  It doesn't seem to
> > happen on other media players, or at least isn't as noticeable.
> >
> > As a VLC novice, how do I address this? Any pointers for me to look at,
> > and if so, what *should* I be paying attention to?

> Could be that your dropping frames for some reason.
> Start the movie with VLC then press Ctrl+M to bring up the Messages dialog.
> Also check dmesg | tail.
> The info from those should help the list diagnose the problem.
>
> Also some box specs will be useful.
>
> You can of course rule out the DVD read by copying one of the VOBs to
> the hard drive and viewing it from there with VLC.

You can also try playback using a different application, such as
mplayer, to see if your problem is VLC specific. Mplayer gives a big
fat warning when it thinks your hardware isn't up to the task of
playing a given media file.

Celejar