alternatively, how do you go about changing the default selection on grub2?

I used to know that, but those where grub(1) times :)

Daniel

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
On 2012-03-22 12:59 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:39:51PM -0700, daniel jimenez wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'm trying to get an rt kernel working in debian testing on an amd64 laptop
>> with nvidia graphics.
>>
>> Ideally I'd have nouveau set up to start when I select (in grub) the rt
>> kernel and the nvidia drivers when choosing the regular kernel. Problem is,
>> I don't know how to do that...
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>
> You can prevent the loading of a module on the kernel command line, so e.g.
>
>       kernel /foo.rt nvidia.blacklist=yes
>
> Will prevent the nvidia kernel module from loading.  This will hopefully
> mean the nouveau one will win the race,

Unless nouveau is blacklisted as well, which is the case if the
nvidia-kernel-common package is installed.  I would prefer not to
blacklist anything and boot the non-rt kernel with the 'nomodeset'
parameter.

> and X will use whatever driver corresponds to what the kernel has
> loaded.

Not true, nvidia is never autoloaded, so you need at least a 4-line
xorg.conf.  And it is also necessary to switch the providers of
/usr/lib/$DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH/libGL.so.1 and
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so, otherwise OpenGL programs
will not run.

All doable with a custom initscript, but quite some hassle.

> Getting grub2 to use a different command-line option for each entry left
> as an exercise for the reader.

I ended up locally diverting /usr/sbin/update-grub (replacing it with a
symlink to /bin/true) and managing /boot/grub/grub.cfg by hand.

Cheers,
      Sven