Re: ethernet card problem

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 15:43:08 +1000, Alan Kerns wrote:

(no html, please)

> The other day I installed debian-6.0.4-i386 on my backup computer and it
> worked so well that I decided to install debian-6.0.4-amd64 on my main
> computer.
> The install begins smoothly but stops dead when looking for network
> hardware.
> The unseen hardware is Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit
> Ethernet Controller.
> The hardware which worked fine on my i386 machine is not Realtek but I
> think Silicon Integrated Systems.
> <http://dhost.info/baxic/debian-on-hp-probook-4520s/hw-spec.php#eth-
card>
> tells me this Reatek hardware "works fine".

Usually, most of the intel and realtek chipset based ethernet cards work
out-of-the-box, with exceptions, of course.

> Like hell it does! Where can I find out what ethernet cards will really
> work fine with squeeze.

What I do to test my hardware before installing is loading a LiveCD. This
helps to find the most common troubles, that is, with the vga and network
card.

> I'll go and buy one to save myself a lot of hassle and frustration. I
> have the latest realtek-firmware installed on my Linux Mint Debian
> Edition which I have been using for some months; but that's no help
> when installing squeeze from a CD-ROM on a different partition.

Your card may need a firmware file in order to work properly. You can
install Debian from DVD and thus avoid using/configuring your network
card and afterwards... your problems will continue :-P

The RTL8111/8168B NIC under Linux and the r8168 driver
http://superuser.com/questions/396071/the-rtl8111-8168b-nic-under-linux-and-the-r8168-driver.

It seems to be a problematic chipset.

Greetings,

--