i wish to generate a Debian package from source written in c++ with makefile already prepared

i wish to generate a Debian package from source written in c++ with
makefile already ready,
so i used dh_make and prepared all the needed configuration file, all
but rules file - this one is a bit tricky, because i cant find a way
to execute the make command at the destination folder.

my question is how to write the generate file so it will copy the
source files to /usr/share/my folder and execute make command there.

Best,
Gershon Celniker
Bioinformatics developer - TAU - Tel Aviv University