Re: Can no longer mount SDHC card

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 23:45:58 +0700, Ken Heard wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> If you're using a DE, I would let it to mount external devices
>> automatically, that is, by commenting (#) the above line in /etc/fstab.
>> Then, as soon as you attache the card it should be recognized, detected
>> and mounted under /media.
>
> I did as you suggested -- commented out that line in fstab -- and
> inserted the card.  It was not recognized, detected or mounted under
> media.  The DE I am using is KDE 3.5.10.

I think a restart is required for that change to take effect.

>>> mount: special device /dev/mmcblk0p1 does not exist
>>
>> And it may be true. Run "/sbin/blkid".
>
> It is true; I had already discovered that that device does not now
> exist, although it must have existed more than three hours ago.

Wow, a ghost card :-)

If the device was detected and recognized, it should be something at
dmesg indicating the presence of the mount point or at least the device
itself. You can filter the output with "dmesg | grep -i sd".

Are you hibernating or suspending the computer? Maybe the card reader
becomes inaccessible/hidden after restoring from suspension :-?

>> Open a terminal, run "dmesg | tail" and then insert the card to see
>> what's going on.
>
> I ran that "dmesg|tail" both before and after installing the SDHC card
> On all occasions that command reported nothing.

Nothing? :-?

Then your kernel is not being aware that there is a card inserted
although it should be automatically detected. I would try by reloading
the kernel module which controls these kind of devices ("modprobe -r
module_name modprobe module_name"). Sorry, I don't know the name of the
module it uses :-P, you can list all of them with "lsmod".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón