Re: Problem with trying to instal Debian

On Mon 19 Mar 2012 at 13:11:38 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> I do not know whether the wireless stuff is the cause of the problem(s)
> with the installation process (apart from the Debian 6 CD/DVD Creator
> not creating a bootable DVD from the ISO image), but, as the
> installation process appears to have enabled the dreaded wireless
> network device, whilst I chose the eth0 (wired network card) for
> configuring the network, I suppose it is possible that the reason that
> the repositories mirrors cannot be accessed, is due to this wireless
> network device, which has no device with which to communicate, and
> therefore, could be simply "shouting into space", "with no-one to hear
> it".

The installer would have offered you a choice of two interfaces. What
were they called? How were they described? To set up a wireless
interface you have to provide a WEP password. From what you say you
didn't, so it appears unlikely the network was enabled with the wireless
device.

I think using d-i in expert mode has been mentioned. Looking at the
fourth console (ALT-F4) may also be beneficial.