Re: Are there any current label printers that works with Linux/amd64?

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 01:36:47AM -0400, Allan Wind wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a current label printer working with
> Linux/amd64?
>
> Brother QL-580N appears to be decent hardware, but apparently
> a brick under amd64[1][2].  Neither the install instructions
> (--force-all) or the source code I looked at inspired confidence.

I am planning to move my 32-bit userspace to 64 bits next HD upgrade,
so your post inspired me to throw together an amd64 VM to test my
QL-500 printer. I used the stable amd64 netinst iso and selected the
print server task.

The Brother drivers for my QL-500 seem to work OK under the 64 bit
architecture, even without installing the 32 bit compatability
libraries as described in "Using proprietary i386 apps on an amd64
system" <http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/531>. Maybe the
drivers are statically linked.

Anyway, the installation *is* somewhat touchy and took me a couple of
tries. Here are the steps that I had to take:

  ln -s /etc/init.d/cups /etc/init.d/cupsys
  mkdir /var/spool/lpd
  dpkg --force all -i ql500lpr-1.0.0-1.i386.deb
  dpkg --force all -i ql500cupswrapperinch-1.0.0-1.debian.i386.deb
  <Configure CUPS and print teensy test page>

I suspect these same steps would be needed installing in an i386
system anyway as the ln & mkdir changes reflect locations in newer
systems and the "--force all" is required, erm, normally.

HTH

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to