Re: Problem with Update repository

On 17/03/12 17:38, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:
<snipped>

> Hello.
>
> The sources.list file is listed below.
>
> "
> :~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> #
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 CD
> Binary-1 20111008-14:36]/ squeeze main
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 CD Binary-1
> 20111008-14:36]/ squeeze main
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/updates main
>
> # squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
> deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
> "
>
> That is how it was set up by the initial installation.

If you'd installed using the expert mode you'd've been asked your region
and given a list of local mirrors to choose from. No matter.

I replaced a sources.list on one of my boxes with yours - tested fine.
NOTE: I commented out deb-src, you only need those if you're building
from source.
==============tested as working=============
 deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
# deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main

 deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
# deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/updates main

# squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
 deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
 deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main

It could be a problem with the dns you're using - either use another dns
(edit /etc/resolv.conf), or add the following addresses to your /etc/hosts.

http.us.debian.org 128.30.2.36
security.debian.org 128.101.240.212
ftp.au.debian.org 150.203.164.37

It could also be the mirror is being updated - check with your browser,
there'll be a note warning of an upgrade in process if that's the case.
If it's being upgraded, choose another mirror.

<snipped>

Kind regards