Re: Problem with Update repository

On 16/03/12 13:38, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Recently, I have been getting an error message both from an update
> manager applet, and, in checking for system updates.
>
> The error message is:
>
> "
> An internal error has occured and the operation has been aborted.
> Error message:
> Fetch failed: W:Failed to fetch
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/updates/main/source/Sources.gz
> 404  Not Found [IP: 199.6.12.70 80]
> , E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.
> "

Strange:-

$ ping http.us.debian.org
PING ftp.us.debian.org (64.50.236.52)

Is that the only error you got?
If so, and if you aren't building from source, just comment out that src
line in /etc/apt/sources.list.

Does the relevant line look like either of these?
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

Have you considered using a local mirror? eg.:-
mirror.3fl.net.au 	Westnet
ftp.netspace.net.au 	Netspace Online Systems
mirror.waia.asn.au 	Western Australian Internet Association

Also (East coast):-
http://ftp.monash.edu.au/pub/linux/debian/
http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian/
http://mirror.optus.net/debian/

For more see:-
http://www.debian.org/mirror/sponsors

<snipped>

If none of the above solve your problem, please post:-
/etc/apt/sources.list

Kind regards

--
"Oh sorry, I was taking life seriously."
— Bill Hicks