Re: How to share the Internet with Linux and an iPad by Wi-Fi?

> I tested what happens, if I install the needed packages to Mint Lisa.
> The LED always will flash and iwlist scanning will find something [snip]

> I'll copy the config files to
> Mint, since all Debian and Debian derivatives are similar. [snip]

Done. It seems to be that simply the settings are still bad, but the
driver and firmware seem not to be borked.

# mount /dev/sdb6 /mnt/oz
# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/lisa
# cp -p /mnt/oz/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf /mnt/lisa/etc/hostapd
# mv /mnt/lisa/etc/dnsmasq.conf /mnt/lisa/etc/dnsmasq.conf.DEFAULT
# cp -p /mnt/oz/etc/dnsmasq.conf /mnt/lisa/etc
# diff /mnt/oz/etc/resolv.conf /mnt/lisa/etc/resolv.conf
# cat /mnt/lisa/etc/resolv.conf
  # Generated by resolvconf
  nameserver 127.0.0.1
#mv /mnt/lisa/etc/network/interfaces /mnt/lisa/etc/network/interfaces.DEFAULT
# cp -p /mnt/oz/etc/network/interfaces /mnt/lisa/etc/network/interfaces

Then I rebooted to Mint Lisa and now the LED doesn't flash there too and
iwlist scan does end with no result, so I assume the settings are still
bad.

$ service NetworkManager status
NetworkManager: unrecognized service
$ iwlist scanning
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0     No scan results

ppp0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

- Ralf