Re: How to share the Internet with Linux and an iPad by Wi-Fi?

On Vi, 09 mar 12, 16:48:58, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 11:59 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Vi, 09 mar 12, 05:14:39, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I'm guessing this paragraph is about my question. If you have only
> one
> > computer + the iPad then you don't need bridging.
>
> Yes, it is about your question. I only need it for 1 computer and the
> iPad.
>
> My rudimentary edited /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
> and /etc/dnsmasq.conf [1] have broken the PPPoE connection too.

Not sure how this could have happened.

> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto dsl-provider
> iface dsl-provider inet ppp
> pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
> provider dsl-provider
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet manual
>
> # WLAN
> allow-hotplug wlan0
> iface wlan0 inet static
>      address 192.168.10.24
>      netmask 255.255.255.0

Looks good to me.

> root@oz:~# cat /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
>
> # Operation mode (a = IEEE 802.11a, b = IEEE 802.11b, g = IEEE 802.11g,
> # Default: IEEE 802.11b
> hw_mode=a

You probably want/need hw_mode=g here

> # Channel number (IEEE 802.11)
> # (default: 0, i.e., not set)
> # Please note that some drivers (e.g., madwifi) do not use this value
> from
> # hostapd and the channel will need to be configuration separately with
> # iwconfig.
> channel=60

This seems wrong, try 7

> # Station MAC address -based authentication
> # Please note that this kind of access control requires a driver that
> uses
> # hostapd to take care of management frame processing and as such, this
> can be
> # used with driver=hostap or driver=nl80211, but not with
> driver=madwifi.

Are you sure about this one?

> root@oz:~# cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf

> # If you want dnsmasq to listen for DHCP and DNS requests only on
> # specified interfaces (and the loopback) give the name of the
> # interface (eg eth0) here.
> # Repeat the line for more than one interface.
> #interface=

You should probably set this to wlan0, just to make sure it doesn't mess
with eth0 and ppp0

> # Uncomment this to enable the integrated DHCP server, you need
> # to supply the range of addresses available for lease and optionally
> # a lease time. If you have more than one network, you will need to
> # repeat this for each network on which you want to supply DHCP
> # service.
> # dhcp-range=192.168.10.24,192.168.10.25,12h

You should enable a line like this, just make sure the range does *not*
include 192.168.10.24 (which is what you configured for wlan0)

> # DHCP range where the netmask is given.
> # If you don't know what a DHCP relay agent is, you probably
> # don't need to worry about this.
> # dhcp-range=192.168.10.24,192.168.10.24,255.255.255.0,12h
>
> # Specify a subnet which can't be used for dynamic address allocation,
> # is available for hosts with matching --dhcp-host lines. Note that
> # dhcp-host declarations will be ignored unless there is a dhcp-range
> # of some type for the subnet in question.
> # In this case the netmask is implied (it comes from the network
> # configuration on the machine running dnsmasq) it is possible to give
> # an explicit netmask instead.
> dhcp-range=192.168.10.24,static

Not needed.

Hope this helps,