Re: How to share the Internet with Linux and an iPad by Wi-Fi?

On Sat, 2012-03-10 at 16:18 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> For the default install, just using pppoeconf, nm not set, the LED
> flashed from time to time and I guess the iwlist scanning would show
> what's on the air. Using Mint Lisa now, iwlist still does. When nm was
> set, the LED flashed continuously. Now it looks like the driver or
> firmware is borked, the LED never will flash. Should I continue after
> restoring the complete install from a backup or is it just because of
> the new and wrong settings? I wonder because I removed and installed
> completely before I started the second trail, but I didn't get the LED
> alive, even without new settings.

I tested what happens, if I install the needed packages to Mint Lisa.
The LED always will flash and iwlist scanning will find something [1].
Before I restore something from backups, I'll copy the config files to
Mint, since all Debian and Debian derivatives are similar.
It seems that something get borked during installing, removing,
installing and editing, editing, editing.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
spinymouse@lisa ~ $ iwlist scanning
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 [snip]
          Cell 05 [snip]

ppp0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

spinymouse@lisa ~ $ gksudo synaptic
Installed the following packages:
hostapd (1:0.7.3-2build1)
libnl1 (1.1-6ubuntu1)

spinymouse@lisa ~ $ gksudo 'shutdown -r now'

spinymouse@lisa ~ $ iwlist scanning
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 [snip]
          Cell 04 [snip]

ppp0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

spinymouse@lisa ~ $ gksudo synaptic
Installed the following packages:
dnsmasq (2.57-1ubuntu1)

spinymouse@lisa ~ $ gksudo 'shutdown -r now'

spinymouse@lisa ~ $ iwlist scanning
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 [snip]
          Cell 03 [snip]

ppp0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

spinymouse@lisa ~ $ gksudo synaptic
Installed the following packages:
resolvconf (1.48ubuntu1)

spinymouse@lisa ~ $ gksudo 'shutdown -r now'

spinymouse@lisa ~ $ iwlist scanning
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 [snip]
          Cell 03 [snip]

ppp0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

spinymouse@lisa ~ $ gksudo synaptic
Removed the following packages:
resolvconf
Installed the following packages: