Re: Securing Debian Manual: 4.10.1 User authentication: PAM

On Jo, 08 mar 12, 17:13:06, Stayvoid wrote:
> Hello.
>
> "Add root and the other users that should be able to su to the root
> user to this group."
> I'll be the only user of the server. Should I create a guest user for
> me? Will it be enough to have a root access?

It is considered good practice to use root access as little as possible
and only when really necessary (e.g. don't run a music player as root
except when you want to diagnose permission problems with the sound
system).

> (The answer is pretty obvious, but I want to be sure.)

Is it? I have no idea what you think the correct answer is.

> "To make sure that the user root can only log into the system from
> local terminals, the following line should be enabled in
> /etc/pam.d/login:        auth     requisite  pam_securetty.so"
> I'll use a remote connection (SSH). Is it possible (and necessary) to
> make the opposite thing (to disable login from the local terminals)?

What local terminal, isn't this about a VPS?

Kind regards,
Andrei