Re: Encrypted LVM and failed message

Hello Daniele,

Daniele Guerrieri <d.guerrieri@gmail.com> wrote:
> Every time I START the system, just before the prompt for passphrase, there
> are some complaints about the / filesystem: something like "Cannot find
> harpsiRoot volume" and also mobprobe: unix module not found. So it

The ‘modprobe: unix module not found’ message is a different problem
introduced by a recent upgrade of initramfs-tools and the kernel, I
think. It is no problem either, modprobe here tries to load the
‘unix’ module which is already compiled into the kernel and thus not
available.

> complains about missing root volume, but is wrapped by the encrypted volume
> so it should be normal not to have / mounted before inserting the
> passphrase.. or not?

Exactly. That’s why it first complains and then decides to ask you
for a passphrase :) I see the exact same behaviour and my system is working fine.
> However, after inserting the passphrase, everything goes ok and the rest
> works perfectly.

:)

> Otherside, every time i STOP the system, there is a fail: stopping early
> crypto disks failed.

/ is still mounted, trying to stop the encrypted device therefore
fails. That is not a problem either, in my experience.

> Are this two issues related? Are my data safe in this double wrapped
> container (encrypted->lvm->logical volume->data)?

Yes.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
"I'd love to go out with you, but it's my parakeet's bowling night."
Please use GPG: ECB0C2C7 4A4C4046 446ADF86 C08112E5 D72CDBA4