How to "network-manager" (was: Re: Network-manager woes (wifi))

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 18:50:05 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

(hey, no thread-hijacking please!) ;-)

> I have a selfmade working network connection now for many, many years.
> The files /etc/network/onterfaces and /etc/resolv.conf are manually
> edited by me.
>
> In earlier times resolv.conf was a link to somewhere, but I forgot, to
> where. It is now a static file.

I keep using the old networking style (ifup) in workstations and servers.
N-M is relegated to the netbook, just because is easier to configure the
widi AP settings from there.

> But now I want to test, how Networkmanager is working. So, what is the
> best debian way to get a fresh file "interfaces". Which entries are
> containing in interfaces as default? I am using eth0 and wlan0 at the
> moment.

Before editing the involved files, you have to consider what network
interfaces do you want to be managed by N-M. By default, squeeze (and
also wheeze, I guess) is configured so that ifup controls the wired
devices while N-M handles wireless ones. You can change this as
instructed here:

http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager

> I have Networkmanager already installed, but changed nothing in its
> config.

To get the wireless card to be used by N-M just comment the wlan0 stanza
at "/etc/network/interfaces", add a new connection to the N-M applet and
check if network-manager daemon is configured to be started on system
booting.

> If Networkmanager will fail, of course I can restore resolv.conf and
> interfaces at every time.

That shouln'd be a problem.

Greetings,

--