Re: Font intensity on desktop

Hello Gary,

Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have two systems running Debian Squeeze and have essentially the same
> setup. I am running an ATI Radeon HD 5450 on my main system which has
> good readable print on both the desktop icons and on the bottom panel.
> My other system (older) is running an ATI Radeon RV250 and has lousy
> readability for everything on the desktop. I have gone through the
> system setup and made sure that both systems are identical. I'm running
> 1280x1024 at 60Hz refresh rate on both systems. I use the KDE desktop.
> The newer system is running an Intel board with an i5-750 4 processor
> CPU. The older system is running an Pentium III (Coppermine). Strangely
> enough the print on the  monitor (Bash) is good on both systems but the
> window surround is nearly unreadable on the old system.

I assume (make an ass out of you and me…) that this has something to
do with anti aliasing enabled on one system and disabled on the
other. Maybe you can have a look at the font properties of KDE and
compare these between the two desktops?

For XFCE 4.8, this would be achieved via the ‘Fonts’ tab in
xfce4-appearance-settings, a similar program exists for Gnome (at
least 2.x, gnome-appearance-settings iirc) and I am sure something
like this also exists for KDE.

Especially have a look at the ‘advanced’ settings controlling
subpixel rendering etc.

What do you mean by ‘print on the monitor’? The virtual terminals
reachable via Ctrl-Alt-Fx or, for example, konsole?

Best regards,

Claudius
--
BOFH excuse #373:

Suspicious pointer corrupted virtual machine
Please use GPG: ECB0C2C7 4A4C4046 446ADF86 C08112E5 D72CDBA4
http://chubig.net/ http://nightfall.org